#TreadmillDesk is trending hard on TikTok with over 2 billion views, and for a good reason. Celebrities such as Victoria Beckham, Jimmy Kimmel, and Al Roker have all shown their love for this amazing solution to increase movement in the workday. Investing in the best under desk treadmill could be just the thing you need to stay productive while staying healthy too!
All the great reviews and hype around treadmill desks are backed up by science. Studies have uncovered that walking for just 5 minutes every 30 minutes of sitting can provide huge improvements to mental and physical health. Not only that but reducing job stress and boredom is also a plus.
Even if you’re already active with exercise, too much sitting could still be undoing all your hard work – but with a treadmill desk, you can maximize the metabolic benefits of your workout.
Multitasking at its Best
Looking to become healthier at work? According to Matt Tanneberg, a sports chiropractor and certified strength and conditioning specialist interviewed by Runner’s World, investing in an under-desk treadmill is the way to go.
He explains that “walking at your desk is a perfect supplement to a healthy exercise regimen”, and could even help reduce the risk of neck and upper back pain caused by sitting in chairs for too long.
Ready to jump onto the treadmill desk trend? Here’s what you need to know before making a purchase. Keep in mind, although some desks come with a treadmill included, others don’t! We’ve listed our top 10 best under desk treadmill picks below, so decide what your needs and budget are before taking the plunge.
The Best Under Desk Treadmill Options for 2023
Things to Consider in an Under Desk Treadmill or Walking Pad
Before you commit to an under-desk treadmill, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. Think about space and size requirements, speed settings, maximum weight capacity, and any extra features it may have. Here’s a quick rundown of the most common variables.
Space and Size Requirements
When selecting a treadmill to fit under your desk, think about weight, dimensions, and portability. Look for an easy-to-store design that can be wheeled away when not in use. Make sure it fits snugly in the space you have without any tripping hazards.
A good rule of thumb is 40 inches of space behind the treadmill, 20 inches on either side and close access to an outlet. Ensure the floor or low-pile carpeting can accommodate it as well.
When using an under-the-desk treadmill, you won’t need a maximum speed too high. Most people walk at a rate of 3 to 4 miles per hour, so 5 mph is usually more than enough. In fact, if you plan on using it while working on a computer, you should go with 2 miles per hour or lower.
Maximum Walker Weight
Compared to standard treadmills, under-the-desk models typically have lower weight capacities. Most of these treadmills can easily support up to 220 pounds, while regular treadmills usually accommodate 300 to 325 lbs. It is possible to find models with higher capacity ratings but they are generally not as common.
To make your treadmill experience more enjoyable, some machines come with remotes that can be used to start and stop the machine or adjust walking speed.
They also feature a display that runs metrics such as total distance traveled. Also, certain safety features like automatic stopping when you step off may be included in some models. It’s wise to make a list of desired features before making a purchase.
Top 10 Best Under Desk Treadmill Options for 2023
Below are our selections for the top 10 best under desk treadmill options currently on the market, as well as our reasoning and where to get one of your own. If you want more information than what is provided in this guide, we also link to our comprehensive product review for the specific treadmill desks.
These resources should help you get a fuller picture of the best walking pad or under desk treadmill for your unique needs.
GoPlus Treadmill Desk
If you’re searching for an affordable treadmill desk, the GoPlus Treadmill Desk provides great value for its price tag. It has a maximum speed of 2.5 mph when the handrail is lowered and 8 mph when lifted. The stainless steel frame ensures its strength and durability, and it comes in 7 color options.
The treadmill also offers easy installation and storage with its foldable design, built-in wheels, remote control for adjusting speed, Bluetooth speaker, and phone holder. Moreover, GearLab gave the Goplus high marks due to its simple assembly process, small form factor, and low noise level. “If you want a reliable treadmill that isn’t bulky or expensive, then consider getting the Goplus,” said Jeremy Benson of GearLab.
GoYouth Treadmill Desk
The GoYouth treadmill desk has become hugely popular on TikTok for a variety of reasons. It features a long-lasting steel frame, a multi-layer belt that reduces noise, and a Bluetooth speaker to listen to your favorite tunes while exercising.
It offers impressive value for money with its 6 mph maximum speed, perfect for jogging and light exercise, and an LED display that shows time, calories burned, steps taken, speed, and distance traveled. All this makes GoYouth one of the most affordable yet feature-filled treadmill desks available on the market!
Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill Desk
If you’re after a reliable, safe, and budget-friendly treadmill, the Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill Desk is the way to go. It comes fully assembled, with wireless remote control and wheels for easy relocation between rooms. Plus, it includes a unique safety feature that pauses the running belt if no user is detected after several seconds.
The Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill Desk also has an energy-saving mode that kicks in when the machine is left idle for 10 minutes. According to fitness writer Caroline Lubinsky from Garage Gym Reviews, she felt secure and supported while walking on her carpeted bedroom floor with no motor lagging at all.
The Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill Desk features a large 14-inch monitor which tracks your time, speed, calories burned, steps taken, and distance traveled. When not in use it can be stored upright or tucked away under furniture for easy storage.
WalkingPad Folding Treadmill
If you’re in search of a slim and sleek treadmill that can easily be tucked away after each use, this is the one for you. It reaches speeds up to 4 mph and features a sophisticated design – winning a Red Dot Design Award for its compactness at only 5 inches in height and foldable in half. The frame is crafted from stainless steel with an ultra-quiet motor ideal for office settings.
The walking surface is surprisingly capacious, with Amazon reviewers of over 6 feet tall singing its praise. Additionally, it offers three methods of control: using your feet, the included remote control, or through a downloadable smartphone app.
Unsit Treadmill Desk
If you’re looking for a quality treadmill desk for the office or home, the InMovement Unsit Treadmill Desk is an investment that you can trust. It’s made of commercial-grade materials and features a silent motor perfect for meetings. The design is unique – wider and shorter than your average treadmill – and Sal Vaglica, a 6’4″ contributor at Fatherly, reports it fits him perfectly.
The Unsit Treadmill Desk has a Bluetooth app to track your steps, distance, and calories burned. Plus, some parts come with a lifetime warranty and they can support up to 400 pounds. The only downside is its maximum speed of 2 mph which may be too slow for some users.
Rhythm Fun Treadmill Desk
With its convenient foldable handrail, this lightweight and shock-absorbent treadmill is the perfect space-saving solution for the home or office. When laid flat, it doesn’t take up much room at all – less than 3 square feet of space – so you can get your workout in without taking up too much space.
The Rhythm Fun Treadmill Desk has noise reduction technology and can reach speeds of up to 7.5 miles per hour with its handrail raised. There’s also a built-in Bluetooth speaker and an extra stand to hold your smartphone if you want to watch videos while working out.
Umay Walking Pad
Compact and lightweight, the Umay Walking Pad weighs only 55 pounds with convenient wheels for easy transport. Measuring just 6 inches thick, it’s perfect for storing upright against a wall.
The treadmill has a whisper-quiet motor and a multilayered shock-absorbing running belt for a silent workout experience – plus, its remote control allows you to adjust your speed up to 4 miles per hour. It supports up to 198 pounds in weight and comes in black, pink, or white.
EgoFit Walker Plus-M1T Treadmill
If you want to add an incline to your under-the-desk workout, the EgoFit Walker Plus-M1T Treadmill is a perfect choice. Fully assembled upon delivery and with its low profile, this treadmill offers a 5% incline – although not at the same level as standard treadmills, which can reach 15%.
Still, having an incline helps replicate outdoor running and engages more muscles in the process. Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 Treadmill
The LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 Treadmill is a compact and versatile treadmill designed specifically for use as a treadmill desk. It has a speed range of 0.4 to 4 mph, allowing you to walk or run at your preferred pace while you work. The desk attached to the treadmill is height adjustable, allowing you to find the most comfortable and ergonomic position for your work.
The TR1200-DT3 has a small footprint, making it ideal for use in small spaces such as home offices or small apartments. It is built with a sturdy frame and durable belt, ensuring a smooth and stable walking surface.
Additionally, the TR1200-DT3 features LifeSpan’s Intelli-Step technology, which counts the number of steps taken during your workout and displays this information on the console. It also includes safety features such as an emergency stop button and an adjustable safety tether, ensuring that you can use the treadmill safely and with peace of mind.
NordicTrack Treadmill Desk
The NordicTrack Treadmill Desk is a multi-functional workout machine designed for people who want to stay active while they work. The treadmill is equipped with a spacious work surface that can accommodate a laptop or other work materials, making it easy to multitask while you exercise. The desk is also height adjustable, allowing you to find the most comfortable and ergonomic position for your work.
The NordicTrack Treadmill Desk is equipped with a powerful motor that provides smooth and quiet operation, and it has a speed range of 0 to 6 mph, making it suitable for both walking and running. The treadmill also has an adjustable incline, allowing you to vary your workout and target different muscle groups.
The machine is equipped with a number of safety features, including a safety key that can be removed to immediately stop the treadmill in case of an emergency. Additionally, the treadmill has a large, easy-to-read display that provides real-time feedback on your workout, including speed, distance, calories burned, and heart rate.
Additional Products to Get Started Working While Walking
While a treadmill desk or walking pad is a great start to a healthier and more active lifestyle while working from home, there are some additional products that can assist in helping you hit the ground walking.
Standing desks are a must-have if you get a walking pad without an attached desk. A treadmill mat is also needed, especially if your home office has a wood floor. Finally, exercise balls are a great way to be able to sit at adjustable desks without consistently needing to move a walking pad around.
Standing desks are important when using a treadmill desk for several reasons:
- Health benefits: Prolonged sitting has been linked to numerous health problems, including obesity, heart disease, and back pain. By using a standing desk and a treadmill desk, you can stand and walk while you work, reducing the amount of time you spend sitting and helping to prevent these health problems.
- Increased productivity: Standing while you work can help to increase your energy levels and focus, leading to increased productivity and better work performance.
- Improved posture: Standing at a desk can help improve your posture, reducing the risk of back and neck pain. It also helps to strengthen the muscles in your legs, core, and back, improving your overall physical health.
- Burn calories: By walking on a treadmill while you work, you can burn calories and increase your overall level of physical activity, helping you to maintain a healthy weight and improve your fitness.
In summary, using a standing desk and a treadmill desk can offer numerous health benefits and help to improve your overall well-being, while also allowing you to be productive while you work.
Treadmill mats are important when using a treadmill desk for several reasons:
- Protection of the floor: Treadmill mats help to protect your flooring from damage caused by the vibration and movement of the treadmill. They can also reduce the amount of noise created by the treadmill, helping to minimize disruptions to others in your home or office.
- Improved stability: Treadmill mats help to increase the stability of the treadmill, reducing the risk of slipping or falling while you walk. This can help to improve your safety and confidence while using the treadmill desk.
- Increased comfort: Treadmill mats can help to absorb some of the impact created by walking on the treadmill, reducing the stress on your joints and improving your overall comfort.
- Extended lifespan of the treadmill: By using a treadmill mat, you can help to protect your treadmill from wear and tear, which can extend its lifespan and improve its performance over time.
In summary, using a treadmill mat is an important consideration when using a treadmill desk. It can offer numerous benefits, including increased safety, comfort, and protection for your flooring and treadmill.
Using an exercise ball on top of a treadmill desk can provide several benefits after you have been walking on your treadmill desk:
- Improved posture: Sitting on an exercise ball can help improve your posture by promoting proper alignment of your spine and engaging your core muscles.
- Increased core strength: Sitting on an exercise ball requires you to engage and maintain balance in your core muscles, which can help to strengthen these muscles over time.
- Improved circulation: Sitting on an exercise ball can help to increase blood flow and circulation, reducing the risk of blood clots and reducing muscle stiffness.
- Active sitting: Unlike a traditional chair, an exercise ball requires you to engage your muscles and maintain balance while sitting, helping to increase physical activity and reduce the amount of time you spend sitting.
- Increased focus: Sitting on an exercise ball can help to improve your focus and concentration, as constant movement helps to stimulate your mind and reduce distractions.
In summary, using an exercise ball in combination with a treadmill desk can offer numerous health benefits and help to improve your posture, core strength, circulation, focus, and physical activity levels.
Our Final Thoughts
Treadmill desks are important because they address the growing concern about the negative health effects of prolonged sitting. The phrase “sitting is the new smoking” highlights the dangers of prolonged sitting and the need for people to find ways to be more active throughout the day.
By using a treadmill desk, people can incorporate physical activity into their daily routines, helping to reduce the amount of time they spend sitting and improving their overall health and well-being. Treadmill desks offer several benefits, including:
- Improved physical health: Walking on a treadmill while you work can help to increase your level of physical activity, which can improve your cardiovascular health, strengthen your muscles, and aid in weight management.
- Improved mental health: Incorporating physical activity into your workday can help to reduce stress and improve your overall mood, leading to increased productivity and focus.
- Increased productivity: The combination of physical activity and work can help to increase your energy levels and focus, leading to improved productivity and better work performance.
- Improved posture: By using a standing desk and a treadmill desk, you can reduce the amount of time you spend sitting, which can help improve your posture and reduce the risk of back and neck pain.
Treadmill desks are important because they offer numerous health benefits and help to address the growing concern about the negative health effects of prolonged sitting. By incorporating physical activity into your workday, you can improve your overall health and well-being, as well as increase your productivity and focus.